I offer high quality research and writing and am reliable, conscientious and hard working.
I am interested in single-person research contracts or working as an affiliate on larger projects. My areas of work and expertise are outlined below. Please contact me for more information and to discuss projects.
Types of work considered
- Desk research
- Literature reviews
- Policy and strategy work
- Evaluations of projects/programmes
- Quantitative and qualitative research (data collection and analysis)
- Transcribing interviews
- Report writing and briefings
- Digital content creation
- Magazine content creation and editing
- Digital communications
Key areas of expertise
- Libraries (public, academic)
- Library policy and strategies
- Marketing including social media
- Digital library services e.g. e-books, websites
- Digital content and digital presence
- Outcome and impact measures, quality frameworks
- Information literacy, reader development
- Book and publishing industries
Current and previous projects
- New distance learning module on digital presence and digital content for libraries, for Aberystwyth University Department of Information Studies (current)
- External verifier for Welsh Public Library Standards (2020) assessment (current) for Welsh Government
- Editorial work for stand-alone commemorative publication for Welsh Government
- Health and wellbeing in public libraries in Scotland, research report for SLIC: Health on the Shelf report published April 2020 – see news item for press release; feature article in The Herald newspaper in Scotland
- Digital inclusion and the impact of Universal Credit on public library services in Wales, with Dr Anoush Simon of Department of Information Studies, Aberystwyth University. Initial findings are available online.
- Scottish public mobile libraries research report for SLIC (2019): Libraries on the Move.
- Review public library standards framework for future adjustments (for Welsh Government)
I am also a member of the RIVAL LIS network in Scotland (2019-21), taking part in the collaborative events. I am in the sub-group which is working on the evaluation of the project. RIVAL is a collaborative network of Scotland-based Library and Information Science (LIS) researchers and practising library and information professionals interested in maximising the impact and value of library and information science research.